Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Golgappa and Googly!

1987: One hot summer afternoon

"Kitty has given birth to babies, let's take a look, come down to the storeroom"- My cousin's shout perked me up.

I was spending holidays at my paternal uncle's huge ancestral house in Begumpet, Hyderabad. The news of our pet cat giving birth to a litter excited me. I rushed downstairs.

However, my excitement was short lived. My granny had bolted the store room door and wasn't allowing anyone to disturb the mother cat and her kittens. I walked dejectedly into the living room and saw people glued to the Television.

The Television showed some men in white clothes. I also heard a sluggish voice with a tacky English accent, oozing in the background. The good old Doordarshan logo caught my instant attention.

And that's how it happened! Deprived of seeing the new born kittens brought cricket to me.

Before I could understand the game, I had heard about cricketer Kapil Dev, but I never knew how he looked. So each time I saw cricket on Television, I assumed that any person with a hat and whitest clothes, running briskly on the field was Kapil Dev. Later, "Palmolive ka Jawaab nahi" AD cleared my assumption. Even today, Kapil Dev- speak the name and I get a picture of him holding up that world cup trophy. Priceless!

As years progressed, the game grew upon me. The eagerness to wake up early at 3 AM to watch the 1992 world cup cricket matches allowed the sport to become an integral part of my childhood. It was also the time, when book-cricket phenomenon was all over the classrooms, BigFun chewing gum hit the market with wrapper of cricketing legends. 6 runs for Azharuddin, a 2 wicket haul wrapper of Ian Bishop and so on. Once, I had collected 200 runs with 11 wickets and got a cricket diary in an exchange offer!

Cricket lured me to fame its dynamics also helped me to understand and differentiate my abilities. Initially I thought I was good bowler and if I scored runs, I told others that I was a batsman. Occasionally I did a little bit of off spinning job too and proclaimed myself as a spinner.

1992- One cold winter morning

"Abhi, we have a game on Sunday 6 AM at Parade Grounds"-Kartik announced.

"With the Gujarati Team?"- I asked

"Yeah, I have challenged them"- Sai blustered.

Sai was an extremely good player, but had a fierce reputation as the ruthless captain of our team. He would swore at anyone who dropped a catch or acted clumsy on the field. Kartik and Sai were the driving force and the team heavily depended upon them. The rest of the team also had all my other childhood friends

All the Telugu speaking guys including me, found opponents in our Gujarati friends who also grew up with us in the same neighborhood.

Strange as you could call it, but all of us were best buddies. We went to movies, played Dandiya during Navrathri season, flew kites, went on picnics, discussed gang-wars, girl friends and relationships. However, only Cricket created a rivalry between us. Thankfully, caste, creed and ethnic group feeling was never injected into us during that tender age. Cricket drew a dotted line relationship between the two groups with an intention to confront each other.

However, we continued as best chums, post the cricket match.

"Abhishek Statue, Kartik Statue, Sai, Statue & Thumbs-up"- Cried out Rajneesh arriving on his Hero Ranger bicycle.

As stupid as it seems, but during those days, we used to adopt an insane activity among us. If a guy tells you Statue when you meet him for the first time during the day, you must freeze, until he says 'Down'. And if he tells you Thums-up, you are expected to keep the thumb in your mouth pose as if you are sipping a cold-drink. This dumb game was extremely popular during our early teens.

The Statue concept not only brought a strange amount of loftiness among us but sometimes it also allowed sparks of jealousy to fly around. Especially when some of the guys partnered this activity with the girls of our colony.

"Ok guys, Down tomorrow"- Rajneesh muttered.

"Rajji, we have a match tomorrow with Nitesh and his team"- said Kartik while spinning a tennis ball.

We had now graduated to a level of playing for moolah. The winning team will now get some money from the losing side. This was usually Rs 5 per person.

But Rajneesh as usual was ecstatic about something else.

"Showdown in Little Tokyo" is playing in Sangeet Theatre, Let's watch it tonight guys".

"Done deal, but let's first go to Sachdev sports, we must buy a new ball and a pair of gloves for tomorrow's match"- I added.

That evening, we went to Sangeet Theatre to watch the late evening show. After the movie, we felt hungry and went to a remote place to eat pani-puri and chat. Owing to unhygienic surrounding, a few of my friends chose not to eat but I indulged completely into it. I didn't realize that so much making a pig of myself. By the time I reached home, my stomach was behaving funny. I however had a peaceful sleep that night.

"Abhi, get up, your friends are here"- My dad woke me the next morning.

"uhh.. is it time already?" I woke up with an uneasy feeling and a rumbled tummy.

I got up hesitatingly and walked towards the door. It was 5:30 am and the cold winter was at its peak. For a moment, I wanted to cancel my participation as I felt it was a punishment to get out and play in the cold. I saw my friends waiting for me.

"Why the hell aren't you ready yet? - A friend yelled at me.
 
"Some of our guys have already left to occupy the cricket pitch at the 'Parade'" He told me the names as I nodded my head, half-asleep.

'Parade Grounds' was a vast and well laid out playground. Located about a kilometer away from our colony, it became our venue for maximum cricket matches. With so many number of cricket matches happening at the same time, exactly at a pitch next to each other, it was confusing to know which game you are actually in!

To occupy the pitch, one must reach early, ground the wickets, spread the kit bag items on the pitch, park bicycle in the middle of the pitch.  This activity indicated a possession.


"Sorry guys , I'd be ready in a jiffy".- I said sheepishly and rushed inside.

There was hardly any time left as I brushed my teeth in haste and hurriedly cycled all the way to the ground and made it on time.

The match began. The Gujarati team won the toss and opted to bat first. Within few moments, the game evolved into a drama, twists & turns, catch drops, misfield, the usual abuses of Sai. It also witnessed the highly eccentric behavior of Pinkesh, the opponent captain. The nice thing about my Gujarati friends was that they never swore even when provoked or even when things go wrong. This was bang opposite to our principles, we swore at a drop of a hat. Despite these differences our teams we bonded like nobody's business.

Soon the early morning sun came out while I was continuing to feel uneasy.

"Su karo chhu yaar thane? Akkal natthi" (What the hell are you doing? Are you nuts?)

One of the batsman yelled at his partner in the midst of confusion running between the wickets.

The Gujarati team had boys from rich families, plush cricket gear chauffeur driven car. Incidentally, years later I had a big time fallout with my Telugu team and decided to represent the Gujarati team for a few matches. They lured me by offering a vice captaincy position and comic books. I was a teenager with naive ignorance of life. With all these 'facilities' and claiming as most important player, I conceited. But we were trashed by my old Telugu team and I was beginning to miss the old fun. After a hard thought, I realized my folly and got back to my flock. And you all thought that the concept of IPL began 3 years ago?

Meanwhile, the Gujarati team had put up a score and it was our turn to chase.

During the break, the soda-wala arrived. The 1 Rupee "Goli Soda" was sold in glass bottle in which a round marble seals the mouth of the bottle by the pressure of the contents, instead of a cap. If the bottle contained lemon juice then it became lemon soda. If it was colored water, then its color soda, ginger and so on. I loved to hear the popping sound as it was opened. This refreshing drink was extremely popular during those days.

After the soda break, our innings began and as expected, the 2 most impressive batsmen of our team  managed the show. They demolished the opposition bowling. My other teammates whistled and cheered while I was became restless about something.

A little later, I felt uneasy and got up, did a brisk walk and tried to stretch my limbs. Gradually, my team lost wickets and winning now seemed difficult.

"Saaru bowling che Jinesh" (Good bowling Jinesh) - A guy who was fielding nearby us, jumped in joy and ran to celebrate a wicket fall.

I watched helplessly as one by one my team member went to the middle and came back after adding a few runs.

"Abhi, pad up, you're next- one of my team member remarked.

"What's the matter with you?" Not feeling well?Do you want a bi-runner"?- He asked


"Nah, I will be fine"- I muttered

I walked into the middle during the crisis situation. It was difficult game and I also had to endure my uneasiness. The required run rate was all time high. I was sweating all over.

Next moment, I find myself hitting the ball all over the ground and running in haste. It looked as if I was engaged in some military training exercise. A couple of fluke shots resulting in boundaries, stepping out of the crease to strike, missing it & the wicket keeper fumbling, it was all happening. However, my uneasiness continued and I wasn't feeling good about it. I wanted to get out without any deliberate attempt. But it looked like every stroke of mine had luck attached to it.

My abusive captain who was doing the umpiring job was astonished at my play. There was grin on his face.

Very soon, we neared an easy win. But instead of feeling happy about it, I became nervous and got myself run-out in the process. My jubilant team asked me to wait till they finish the game and celebrate the victory.

I said that I will meet them at home and fled the scene. I took off my gloves, batting pads and took my friends bicycle and raced home.

An hour later, my friends came home and met my dad.

"Hello uncle"

"Hello boys? How was your game?"

It was fantastic win Uncle! Abhi batted extremely well, hitting the ball all over the ground and running like an antelope between the wickets. Towards the end, it looked as if he was in a great hurry to finish the game.

Oh is it? That’s nice!

Uncle, could you call Abhishek?- They asked.

"Ok, Wait let me check. The boy has been frequenting the toilet ever since he came home this morning!"

© All rights reserved with Abhishek Naini. No form of this may be reproduced without prior permission from the author.

3 Comentários:

Vrijilesh Rai said...

Mazaa aa gaya!

Biraj said...

So the bottomline is, you perform best ubnder duress?? :D

I remember the Statue days... Those were really The good ol' days!!
Sigh!

Biraj said...

Btw, On purpose, I refrain from commenting on the Gujarati angle here! Absolutely no comments here! :D